We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I love this easy tutorial for how to make a heart out of paper. It’s such a cool design and the kids really love making them.
They’re the perfect card or window art piece. Plus, you can make a ton of them in just a few minutes. These paper hearts are easily a good 30-minute activity for the kids that you don’t want to miss.
Now, these easy paper hearts are so much simpler than an origami heart, but you can tell the kids that they’re origami.
Or that they’re dragon hearts. Or mermaid’s hearts. I mean, I’m not going to judge.
Because that’s the last thing we need right now, right?! Some kind of judgment over your adorable paper heart?
I think not.
That being said, if you do want to turn this into some kind of origami paper project, I shall also not pass judgment.
You do you. That’s what I’m trying to say.
Because they’re paper hearts. And everybody could use a little love right now.
How To Make A Heart Out Of Paper
The instructions below are pretty straight-forward, so I’m not going to go over the steps again–just follow the steps.
But what I am going to say is, if you want to turn this into a window cling type project, I recommend that you use tissue paper for the heart “scales”.
But if you want to make this into a card, maybe use a heftier paper like card stock. I mean, tissue paper is fine in that case, but the card stock is going to be more resilient if you put it in an envelope.
And then just add a second sheet of paper to the back to write your message on. Just line up the left and right edges, fold the paper along the top edge and tape it to the back of the front paper.
This is the easiest tutorial for how to make a heart out of paper. So fun and a the kids love making mermaid hearts, dragon hearts, or whatever else you can think to call them! LOL!
- Colored craft papers
- White or off white art paper
- Craft glue
- Choose several different colored sheets of paper to trace the circles to create the scalloped pattern. Determine a size for the circles of the scallop and trace it on any paper. Cut out that circle to use it as a template and cut as many circles as you need for this craft. Cut a piece of paper into a square for the background. The size of this piece of paper will be the size of the whole piece.
- Begin gluing the circle shapes along the bottom side of the square paper, side by side, each adjacent to the next.
- On the second layer, overlap the first layer by half and between 2 circles of the prior layer.
- Continue to fill the layers up by gluing the circles until the square paper is completely filled with circles.
- Draw a heart on a second piece of square paper, the same size as the background square. Cut out the heart but keep the rest of the paper intact.
- Apply glue on either side of the heart cut-out paper and place the glued side on top of the scalloped paper.
- If necessary, trim the sides of the two pieces to be even and enjoy!