We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you answer yes to either one of these questions, this post is for you!
Everything You Need To Know To Get Started With Your Cricut Machine
I will help do a quick rundown all about the Cricut so that you can see all the incredible ways to utilize this machine in your crafting needs.
Since Cricut began there are now a handful of Cricut machines to choose from. So which do you want?
Well, let me walk you through a comparison guide to let you find the perfect machine for your project needs.
Machine Comparison Guide
- Maker – Cricut Maker quickly and accurately cuts over 300 hundred materials, from the most delicate paper and fabric to the tough stuff like matboard, leather, and basswood. Now your creative potential is exponential.
- Explore Air – Performance meets value. Cricut Explore Air gives you the professional-quality results you crave with the added convenience of Bluetooth connectivity for wireless cuts and a double-tool holder for a clutter-free environment.
- Explore Air 2 – Cut and write up to 2X faster than previous Cricut Explore models with this DIY speed machine. The Cricut Explore Air 2 cuts over 100 materials — everything from cardstock, vinyl and iron-on to specialty materials like glitter paper, cork, and bonded fabric.
- Explore One – Cricut Explore One is a smart cutting machine for DIY projects and crafts that’s easy to learn and simple to use. Cut, write, and score 100 materials, including cardstock, vinyl, and iron-on.
The Cricut Maker is the newest released Cricut machine and it has a lot of incredible features. They are very similar to the Explore line, but they seem to carry a few more perks.
- Rotary Blade | They offer a rotary blade that will cut through fabric that is unbonded. That means you don’t need a stabilizer as the Explore machines require.
- Scoring Wheel | This is a nice upgrade from the Scoring Stylus. Saves time and offers a clean line.
- Knife Blade | You can use this to cut thicker leather and even items like balsa wood, which is incredible for crafting.
- Basic Perforation Blade | Creates perfect tear-offs and easy peel-aways using paper, cardstock, acetate, poster board, and more
- Wavy Blade | Quickly create a fun wavy edge on a variety of popular materials.
- Fine Debossing Tip | Customize projects with crisp, detailed debossed designs – no folders necessary (buh bye cuddle bug)
- Engraving Tip | Engrave unique and permanent designs on a variety of materials.
Cricut also announced here in July 2019 there will be a ton of new products pushed out on the market.
As soon as I get my hands on them, you can rest assured this will be your place to come for crafts using the Cricut line!
Explore Air and Air 2
Both of these machines are a more affordable option. Explore machines allow you to work with a variety of materials for your crafting needs. Vinyl, cardstock, foils, glitter paper, bonded fabric and more.
The biggest difference between the Explore Air and Air 2 is the size difference. Air 2 is the larger size that will allow you to cut and write up to 2 times faster. The Air is a smaller more compact size if you don’t plan to do large projects, or maybe have minimal crafting space.
Cricut Explore One
Explore One is a machine that I recommend to beginners of crafting.
There are limited features but enough that you are able to create and design incredible crafts.
This is the lowest price point as well, so if you are on a budget this could be a great starter machine. Then as you learn and grow, you can always upgrade later to one of the other machines.
What Are Some Things You Can Make With A Cricut Machine
- Wall Art | You can snag free SVG files that you can use and create wall art. Crisp, clean wall art that will look like store quality.
- Pinwheels | Look at how fun and pretty these turned out. I used my Cricut to make them, and it was one quick and easy craft that took minimal time or supplies to make.
- Teacher Tote Bag | I used infusible ink ( a new accessory you can buy). The ink infuses into the tote, vs a classic vinyl overlay. This will elevate your crafts greatly.
Any of the machines are incredible to own, it is a matter of what you plan to use it for, the space you have, and what type of crafts you plan to use.
Which Cricut Is Best
- Cricut Maker | If you want all the bells and whistles along with a fast and quiet machine.
- Explore Air 2 | This is a more affordable machine that comes close to standing next to the maker version!
What’s your favorite Cricut craft?